Thursday, July 7, 2016

Black Lives Matter


by Joshua Wilson
@jjwil325

Most days I am lost for words, but not feelings, around #BlackLivesMatter.

Today, as I woke up once again to the news that a Black man, Philando Castile, was fatally shot by police officers, I am left once more confused and hurt.

I hate that this issue is persistently present and that I have to use my voice to speak up. I hate that we live in a country where the likes of Donald Trump threaten the progress we’ve made around racial equality and in particular #BlackLivesMatter.

For my friends who are forever confused on the concept #BlackLivesMatter, please note that this is not a new campaign. All we have to do is look at history to tell the tale of #BlackLivesMatter. I Matter. This I tell myself almost every day, even if it’s not on social media or in our conversations. It’s concerning to know that you will forever be targeted by some because of your skin color. 

For those who ask, don’t “All Lives Matter.” Absolutely, all lives matter. With the deaths of Philando Castille, Alton Sterling, Trayvon Martin, Sandra Bland, Eric Garner, Mike Brown and too many more names to name, I will continue to tell myself that #BlackLivesMatter #ChristianLivesMatter #MuslimLivesMatter #LGBTQLivesMatter #YourLifeMatters #MyLifeMatters.


I will continue to choose to not turn a blind eye to the injustices of this world. I will continue to try to raise my voice. I will continue to try to Love all. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment